AR Rahman’s 10 Tamil Songs You Need To Hear Before You Die
The incredible India has produced some of the greatest musicians of all time. AR Rahman is one of them. It is impossible to select the best ten songs of the winner of two Academy Awards, two Grammy Awards, a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe, four National Film Awards, fifteen Filmfare Awards and thirteen Filmfare Awards South. How is it possible for one man to write so many classic songs! This is like all other ‘Top 10’ lists, subjective; it is someone’s opinion anyway but will be useful for somebody who is not familiar with the songs in the list.
- ‘Kadhal Rojave…’ from Roja: This song alone is AR Rahman. A song full of emotions. How old is this song anyways? Was it made in 1992! I can’t believe. Totally captivating lyrically and extremely innovative musically. It is simply one of the most beautiful piece of musical genius ever recorded.
‘Vaai Illaamal Ponaal Vaarthai Illai Penne
Nee Illaamal Ponaal Vaazhkkai Illai Kanne’
- ‘Narumugiye…’ from Iruvar: It’s just Rahman at his best. This song is truly a piece of art. A masterpiece. I’ve been obsessed with this song for years. It’s just amazing and really unique. I don’t even know what else to say, it’s too amazing! The way the song develops in stages and just goes on… you would never want it to end.
‘Attrai Thingal Annilavil
Netrith Tharala Neervadiya
Kotrappoigai Aadiyaval… Neeyaa!’
- ‘Thai Manne Vanakkam…’ from Vandematharam: This song is pure toxic, can kill your boredom anytime and charge you up. Not only is it inspirational, Rahman’s voice in this song is so mesmerizing! ‘Thai Manne Vanakkam’ is a very special song, it’s probably ultimately his most powerful. You can never listen to this song without getting major chills or goosebumps.
‘Vanthe Maatharam… Vanthe Maatharam
Vanthe Maatharam… Vanthe Maatharam’
- ‘Uyire Uyire…’ from Bombay: Amazing and moving. It has truthful lyrics and a sad, broken voice singing them. It’s so simple, and because it’s so simple it conveys so much emotion. It should impact you since the first time you listen it, whether you like it or not. If there’s anything that can break your heart, it’s nostalgia, the nostalgia of first love. Now, listen to this song.
‘En Uyir Pogum Ponaalum Thuyarillai Kanne
Varum Ethirkaalam Un Meedhu Pazhipodum Penne
- ‘Puthu Vellai Mazhai…’ from Roja: A song with a great melody that has one of the sexiest lyrics ever. You just can’t help listening to it again and again! The beat of this song is awesome!
‘Un Pudavai Munthaanai Saainthathil Intha Bhoomi Poo Poothathu
Ithu Kamban Paadaatha Sinthanai Unthan Kaathodu Yaar Sonnathu’
- ‘Oru Deivam Thantha Poove…’ from Kannathil Muthamittal: When Chinmay says ‘Pirantha Udalum Nee Piriyum Uyirum Nee, Maranam Neendra Jananam Nee’, you can really feel that something’s taking over you. If this song is playing, everybody listening should be legally required to close their eyes and sing along. Also let’s not forget the music video that accompanied it!
‘Oru Theivam Thantha Poove
Kannil Thedal Yenna Thaaye’
- ‘Mukkala Mukkabala…’ from Kadhalan: The song is so pure that anyone would dance on his feet. A song that makes us sing and want us dance. The high pitch portions are the best you will ever listen to, is just out of this world. Energy moves forever forward. The arrangements are so flawless. No freaking doubt, this song is just absolutely amazing. It’s like a hymn where you can sing along and dance!
‘Vaadi En Vannakkili Meenaippol Thullikkudhi
Seivom Oru Kaadhal Veedhi Kaalam Nam Aanaippadi’
- ‘Ennavale Adi Ennavale…’ from Kadhalan: The piano, the composition, the changes, everything is genius here. If you don’t like this song, then something is severely wrong with you. The melody is timeless. This song is deep, heartfelt, and just a masterpiece.
‘Naan Vaazhvathum Vidaikondu Povathum
Un Vaarthaiyil Ullathadi’
- ‘Maargazhi Poove…’ from May Madham: The day is about to begin, when the sun starts to rise. This song gives a pleasant feel. The perfect solidity between the lyrical nature of the song and the vocal structure. The slow rhythmic is pure genius, and the vocals are amazing.
‘Vazhkayil Orupaathi Naan Endru Vasipen
Vazhkayil Marupaathi Naan Endru Rasipen’
- ‘Evano Oruvan…’ from Alaipayuthey: Fabulous music and great video. A masterwork. This song really goes in deep and shows the emotion of the character. It has everything, mystery, beauty, intrigue, and such depth and complexity.
‘Kangalai Varudum Thenisaiyil En Kaalam Kavalai Marandhiruppen
Innisai Mattum Illaiyenraal Naan Enro Enro Irandhiruppen’
Cinephile. Learning the art of Filmmaking. Film-Director.