A list of Sanah Moidutty’s best cover songs. Before that, who is Sanah Moidutty! She doesn’t need an intro now. Still I will go for a small introduction – Sanah Moidutty is an Indian singer who has collaborated with the likes of AR Rahman, and Vishal-Shekhar. Her covers/remixes of evergreen Malayalam songs from late 80s and early 90s on her youtube channel took her to every Malayalies’ mobile, and made them her fans. Most of her videos on youtube have view count more than 50 Lakhs! Yes. 50 Lakhs. Her recent one, the cover version of ‘Karuththa Penne’, has already hit 14 million views. OMG. Exactly. That was my reaction too.
There is no comparison with the originals. I am a fan of those classics and not a fan of the remix songs. I listen to songs for the emotion filled in it, and remixes does not carry any. Some of Sanah’s covers doesn’t fit as regular remixes (there are few though). It does bring the emotion from the original. Eg. Dill Hai Ki Manta Nahin
1. Kehna Hi Kya by AR Rahman – What a beautiful performance by Sanah! (video here) You will miss a bliss you don’t listen this one. Beautiful, soothing and delightful.
2. Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin by Nadeem-Shravan – Play it. Close your eyes. Fall in love. Sanah’s rendition is so awesome that, out of all songs here this is the only song I listen to the cover more than the original. (video here) So beautiful you should listen to it.
3. Sreeragamo from Pavithram (Malayalam) – I always felt Sanah’s Malayalam has a ‘tv-anchoring-slang’ mixed style which takes away the original emotion from the song, but this is is not. She is in full flow here (video here). Loved this version. Beautiful.
4. Jashn-E-Bahaaraa from AR Rahman’s Jodhaa Akbar – Sanah is in top form here. (video here) If you just close your eyes and listen, you will be transported!
5. Tere Bina, Ay Hairathe, and Agar Tum Saath Ho by AR Rahman – Sanah released the video as ‘A Tribute To AR Rahman‘. Beauty. I became a fan of her voice with this. Listen to ‘Teri Nazron Mein Hai Tere Sapne Tere Sapno Mein Hai Naraazi‘ portion. Fantastic. Her voice and rendition. Mesmerising.
6. In Lamhon Ke Daaman Mein/ Kal Ho Naa Ho/ Abhi Mujh Mein Kahin – One of the rare covers which carries the beauty of the original as it is. Especially the Kal Ho Na Ho song. ‘Par soch lo, Is pal hai jo, Woh daastan kal ho naa ho‘. Love to have a full version in Sanah’s voice. Is there a request forum? (video here) It is pure beauty to listen to.
7. Poomaname from Nirakkoottu (Malayalam) originally composed by Shyam and sung by KS Chithra – The cover version of Sanah is ear soothing. (video here) Not comparing with the original version. This one will give you a good introduction to Sanah and her style of singing.
8. Shyama Meghame from Adhipan (Malayalam) – (video here) Check this song. You won’t regret it I assure you. This song captured my interest in Sanah. This song made me listen to her other songs.
9. Jiya Jale from Dil Se originally composed by A.R. Rahman – This is the first song I listened of Sanah. Her Hindi is perfect than her Malayalam. I didn’t like the orchestration of this version though. (video here) Love to play occasionally for Sanah’s voice.
10. Karutha Penne from Thenmavin Kombathu – The video is a disaster, so is the English-Rap and I am not going into those. The energy of the original has taken a turn here. The orchestration is more like a typical remix kinda. Perfectly made for parties. What I liked of this song is her voice, and the happy-mood she keeps throughout. ‘Konchedi Penne Marimaan Kanne‘ portion is so beautiful.
Cinephile. Learning the art of Filmmaking. Film-Director.